Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Beauty to the vision impaired

I was listening to the radio on the way home last night and an unsighted man rang in to raise an issue around political correctness when dealing with vision impairment and other disabilities.

This lead me to question myself - How can I describe beauty to a blind person?

I cannot describe how the beautiful woman looks with visual cues. Can I describe who she is through metaphors? Can I draw an analogy between light and visual cues and sound and audio cues?

Or can I describe her through the rich pallet provided by our taste senses?

She looks like the taste of a complex Heathcote Shiraz.

She presents herself as the complete beauty of a Mozart symphony; a Puccini opera.

Her hair is the colour of the touch of velvet. Her skin is smooth and clear with the radiance of a cello piece by Yo Yo Mah.

Her smile lights up the world like a Sousa march at full volume.

Her hair is so dark that only a blind man can really know it.

And there is charm in her too. Her whole is the integration of words and music that are synthesized in Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody; in Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven.

Does this describe beauty?

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: